The G & SW RR. traveled through Buncombe, WI. It was built of the 3′ gauge by the Galena and Southern Wisconsin Railroad and reached Platteville, Wisconsin by January 1, 1875.
A 350-foot long tunnel was constructed east of Buncombe to avoid placing the track along the winding Fever River. The northern opening of the tunnel is still visible.
In the heyday of the G & SW, Benton was visited with four passenger trains daily. As railway traffic decreased and the section between Benton and Galena suffered a number of washouts, it was abandoned in 1938.
The former community of Buncombe was located just to the west of the turn onto Kennedy Road, where the Bull and the Hardscrabble Branches join the Fever River. Although the little community of Buncombe was served by a post office from 1875 to 1903, today only a few broken foundations remain where once a store, school, and several houses existed well into the 1950s.